On to the pesto & peas potato salad. Okay, I cannot lie, I really impressed myself with this one.
I ate this salad with some fried up Field Roast vegan frankfurters. Once again, this recipe was inspired by Ottolenghi’s “Plenty” book.
Pesto & Peas Potato Salad (serves 4 as a side):
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1lbs baby potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped kale
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 table spoon lime juice
- 1/2 an avocado
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- bunch of fresh mint leaves, chopped
- pepper to taste
1) Place the potatoes into a pot of boiling water and let cook for 15-20 minutes.
2) While the potatoes are cooking, place the chopped kale, parsley, basil, lemon and lime juice, avocado, garlic and salt into a food processor or blender. Once a sort of paste has formed, slowly pour in the olive oil to create a thick pesto. Pour into a small bowl.
3) Drain the potatoes and cut in two (or four) as soon as you can handle them. Pour over the apple cider vinegar then pour in the pesto and add the peas. Toss with the mint, slightly crushing the potatoes to help blend the flavors. Season with pepper and enjoy!
As I said, I served this with Field Roast brand Frankfurters (Check them out! http://www.fieldroast.com/products/retail/frankfurter/). I chopped them up and friend them with garlic and onions. Super tasty AND protein rich (Each ‘furter has 26 grams of protein!).