I saw some ultra nice looking baby yellow potatoes the other day and HAD to make some potato salads. Really. I just had to…
The first one, a classic potato salad (with vegenaise), got a bit spicy with horseradish and curry. The second salad was a pesto based salad, it was more laborious to make but definitely worth the effort. Also, forgive the tupperware containers, I packed it for lunch!
Curry Classic Potato Salad (serves 4 as a side):
- 1 lb baby potatoes
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- large pinch of fresh dill
- 2 green onions, chopped
- small handful snow peas or snap peas, chopped (about 15 pods)
- 2 heaping tablespoons vegenaise (or other vegan mayonnaise alternative)
- 1/2 teaspoon horseradish (this is all up to personal taste, I added an extra 1/2 tsp because I like it hot)
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder (or paste) *
- pinch of dried chili flakes
- salt and pepper (to taste)
1) Place the whole baby potatoes into a pot of boiling water. Cook for 15-20 minutes (until they’re soft but not falling apart). Once cooked, drain the potatoes and place into a large bowl. Once the potatoes have cooled briefly, as hot as you can handle, cut each potato into two or four (half or quarter depending on size) then pour the apple cider vinegar on the steaming potato chunks, add the dill and stir to coat evenly.
2) Add the chopped onions and pea pods to the bowl with the potatoes.
3) In a small bowl mix together the vegenaise, horseradish, mustard, curry powder, and chili flakes. Add mixture to the potatoes and mix thoroughly. Salt and pepper to taste.
4) Allow salad to cool in the fridge for at least 20 minutes before serving.
note*: Since “curry” is a blanket word and each curry is different, you’ll have to experiment with the amount of curry needed for your salad. You can always make your own blend including cumin, turmeric, coriander, ginger, mustard seed and cayenne pepper.
I ate this salad with a big garden salad on the side. Even though there was a lot of salad going on, it was a nicely filling lunch.
Check the next post for the other salad!